Wednesday, 30 January 2008

The Vanities

While I have argued here in the past that I think the giggle factor relating to “UFOs” has greatly diminished in recent years, we have not got away from it completely. I remember someone recently complaining that as many questions about UFOs were asked in the presidential debates in the States as there had been about the Green issue. This was said with utter disbelief as if there could be nothing more important than ecology, and UFOs were simply trash talk.

There are others that have opined that all the recent activity in Texas has made Stephenville a laughing stock.

And so on.

The reason I mention this is to get some perspective. To many people, those with an interest in UFOlogy, regardless of how belief driven or reason driven they may be, are all nutters. There is no differential made between those that embrace it as a religion and those that want it taken seriously by science. All are loonies fit for the bin.

With that in mind, quite recently, Rod Brock reactivated his Aliens Ate My Buick blog. It can be found here:

http://strangegrub.blogspot.com/

From the perspective of an ETH’er, Rod is a sceptic and has attracted bucket loads of abuse and criticism over the years. While he has his fans, his views are not the sort that many in UFOlogy want to read or listen to, understandably.

I think he talks a lot of sense and writes in a truly objective manner. But objectivism and UFOlogy do not necessarily make good bedfellows.

Labelling is always a dangerous game and one that within UFOlogy, is never really accurate, but for the sake of argument, I would call myself a fringe sceptic in relation to UFOs these days. Nevertheless, I do notice a trait among some of the more died in the wool lot that I call battle weariness. It is a state of mind that comes about from having been in too many philosophical fights, arguments, and exchanging of insults. This in turn induces a siege mentality and a degree of obstinacy on the part of the sceptic, an anticipation of reaction and an aggressive posture pre-assumed. Debates can only go in one direction.

I notice this attitude in Rod Brock. The root cause of it I believe is frustration. Rod knows he talks common sense and his despair comes about from the failure of others to see his point of view. There’s no getting away from it but an attitude such as this is arrogant. There’s also no getting away from the fact that when you call someone arrogant, it is impossible to do so without causing offence, and I don’t intend to cause that offence. It’s an observation. I don’t know Rod Brock and can only make an assessment based on his writings.

What Rod wants to do is to change the world. He wants people who follow a fanciful, unsustainable path of thinking to snap out of it and see sense and reason.

He is obviously far from being a stupid man and his years of experience should tell him that he will never change people if they don’t want to change. He is pissing in the wind.

And he’s a long way from being alone. It is endemic.

It has always been so that those who consider they take an intelligent and considered approach to the subject of UFOs want to change the thinking of others. They despise the low life of UFOlogy and want to purge them so that the subject can be taken seriously. Cleansed of people who think ET is already here and there is a government conspiracy, more prestigious institutions will begin to take notice.

What this really is about is them getting to feel better about themselves, separating themselves from the madness and mayhem, and engaging their aspirations to a greater intellectual authority.

No matter how you circumvent this, you always come back to the same word; arrogance.

My argument is, forget it. Leave people be. Let them think what they want and believe what they want. Why shouldn’t they?

Either quit the game or accept the status quo and recognise that you are in a field where some of your fellow travellers disturb you.

But trying to change the world, either surreptitiously by showing good practice or by haranguing folk constantly is simply pointless.

Remember; whoever you are, someone, somewhere thinks you’re an idiot.

15 comments:

RRRGroup said...

I guess this means we should fold up our UFO tents.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted....

RRR

Stuart said...

Hi Rich,

I didn't actually have you in mind when I wrote this. You're different; you just want to bring the whole thing tumbling down!

RRRGroup said...

Whew...

I was worried; so now we can keep on providing our inane rants.

I feel much better.

RRR

Alfred Lehmberg said...

...Don't!

And please, fold your specious tent and go home. On second thought? Leave the tent.

It's likely composed of the skins of persons you've egregiously slandered, and you shouldn't have the utility, eh?

http://alienviewgroup.blogspot.com/2005/11/smoke-and-fire.html

Finally, please consider me one of the persons who consider you an idiot, but an especially mendacious one, one essentially corrupt in character, aspect, and ethic.

And One who owes me damages.

Thanks.

alienview@roadrunner.com
> www.AlienView.net
>> AVG Blog -- http://alienviewgroup.blogspot.com/
>>> U F O M a g a z i n e -- www.ufomag.com

RRRGroup said...

Alfred,

You're an egregious ass.

No one at RRRGroup ever said anything bad about you.

A question was asked, privately; you made it public.

The question was legitimate.

Looking for your bronze star award, we came across an item that needed clarification.


Paul Kimball who asked us to keep him apprised of our bronze star find, was told of the offensive item, and a joke was made of it.

The query to you, however, was to get your response, but you chose to make it a public matter.

And for over two years you've libeled and slandered Rich Reynolds
who didn't ask the question and even informed Errol Bruce-Knapp that he thought the question shouldn't have been asked.

Rich, having been subject to a slur by Bruce-Knapp and Wendy Connors, never said anything bad about you, before or since, knowing how mendacious the UFO community can be, whether the facts allow for such mendacity or not.

You have made your public blunder a slanderous cause to offset your own stupidity for outing a private query.

Kick yourself in the ass, and move on.

Stuart said...

Well, I was going to go to moderation on comments because this is the second time that Alfred has disrespected me in this manner, but on reflection, I'll leave things as they are.

Alfred Lehmberg said...

Alfred,

You're an egregious ass.

~~~It _must_ take one to know one Ritchy.

No one at RRRGroup ever said anything bad about you.

~~~You've a short memory or a diseased one. I'd bet on the latter.

A question was asked, privately; you made it public.

~~~Moron. Asked and answered. Copied _third_ after the star of a radio program and an international filmmaker obviates a privacy... cretin.

The question was legitimate.

~~~The question was the product of stupidity, mendaciousness, and incompetence. I suspect you wouldn't know legitimacy if it worked you over with a nine iron.

Looking for your bronze star award, we came across an item that needed clarification.

~~~It's on my DD Form 214, Crapslinger, and I suspect that with you _everything_ needs clarification.

Paul Kimball who asked us to keep him apprised of our bronze star find, was told of the offensive item, and a joke was made of it.

~~~See -- this is what you do. Caught wrong, you look for another rock to crawl under or try for the old bait and switch. But it doesn't work Ritchy... it just makes more of the universe laugh at you behind your back... I'm laughing loudest.

~~~Please say I was never awarded a Bronze Star and lied about it... please-please-please! I'd like to have something else with which to bludgeon you.

The query to you, however, was to get your response, but you chose to make it a public matter.

~~~Well, you pompous lack-wit, this is part of that response and you'll you'll be getting it every time I see your pointy little head leave its whacka-mole-hole. Enjoy.

And for over two years you've libeled and slandered Rich Reynolds
who didn't ask the question and even informed Errol Bruce-Knapp that he thought the question shouldn't have been asked.

~~~Uh-huh... LOL... The libeler whining he was libeled. This must explain why you never apologized yourself.

Rich, having been subject to a slur by Bruce-Knapp and Wendy Connors, never said anything bad about you, before or since, knowing how mendacious the UFO community can be, whether the facts allow for such mendacity or not.

~~~Too little too late, little- mouse-in-Ritchy's-pocket-pretending-he's-not-Ritchy. You suggested to the world at large that I had sex with children. Reap your ongoing reward Reynolds!

You have made your public blunder a slanderous cause to offset your own stupidity for outing a private query.

~~~Again, you prolapsed piss-wit, an e-mail sent to two significant media personalities is certainly not a "private query"

Kick yourself in the ass, and move on.

~~~I'll consider it the moment I finish running yours through a rusty meat grinder...

Do keep everybody posted on my Bronze Star, Ritchy! What did _you_ do during the war... shovel crap in Louisiana?


alienview@roadrunner.com
> www.AlienView.net
>> AVG Blog -- http://alienviewgroup.blogspot.com/
>>> U F O M a g a z i n e -- www.ufomag.com

Alfred Lehmberg said...

Wow Mr. Miller!

I suspect I'm a little more disappointed in you than disrespecting you.

That said: way to stand tall for truth and right, eh?

alienview@roadrunner.com
> www.AlienView.net
>> AVG Blog -- http://alienviewgroup.blogspot.com/
>>> U F O M a g a z i n e -- www.ufomag.com

Alfred Lehmberg said...

...And Reynolds! Leave that tent! I'm serious! You are relieved of it. I have it!

~~~

Mr. Miller, I'm done if you are. I apologize only to have kicked a dog in your home that's (sic) bit me and otherwise revolts me for being tolerated anywhere, frankly. Now this scabrous cur would cast aspersions on a f__king stellar military record to discredit me and by extension an open and creative ufological world view to which he continuously _fails_ to measure up? All the while bemoaning the enmity and avarice in the field around him. What a snake!

Well -- I would hear the lamentations of his platoon of young men, Sir. I'd have a pound of flesh.

There is no forgive and forget because there is no forgiving, right? There is only squirming and shifting and smirking of a most decided _shirking_ from communicational responsibility as regards one Rich Reynolds, a coward trying to hide behind corporate-like little masks like UFOIcon and RRR et al. Feh!

I cannot understand the consideration you allow him, yet, I can't abide it to the point where it is ME that is unwelcome... criticized... unreasonable. Astonishing.

Fare _well_, Sir. Keep a kipper in the freezer for me, I haven't given up on _you_!

alienview@roadrunner.com
> www.AlienView.net
>> AVG Blog -- http://alienviewgroup.blogspot.com/
>>> U F O M a g a z i n e -- www.ufomag.com

Stuart said...

Alfred,

"Mr. Miller, I'm done if you are."

I am.

"I apologize only to have kicked a dog in your home"

Thank you.

"There is no forgive and forget"

Indeed, but there could be a laying aside. It's what I do when severely pissed off with someone.

"I cannot understand the consideration you allow him, yet, I can't abide it to the point where it is ME that is unwelcome... criticized... unreasonable. Astonishing."

You're not unwelcome. Far from it.

"Fare _well_, Sir."

Again, thank you.

"Keep a kipper in the freezer for me, I haven't given up on _you_!"

I'm pleased for the last bit but I don't get the fish reference. Is this some weird and quaint American custom that has escaped my cross cultural awareness?

Alfred Lehmberg said...

Old "Red Dwarf" Reference vaguely connoting an appreciated, comfortable, or hoped for familiarity.

From the script:
http://www.reddwarf.nildram.co.uk/txt/stoke.html

[Cut to a view of the blue sky, where ACE has miraculously coaxed his rocket bike's exhaust smoke to sky-write "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" in flowing script]

I specified the "freezer" because I thought breakfast might be unlikely.

alienview@roadrunner.com
> www.AlienView.net
>> AVG Blog -- http://alienviewgroup.blogspot.com/
>>> U F O M a g a z i n e -- www.ufomag.com

Stuart said...

Well, talk about coals to Newcastle.

Are you a true American? I would have thought Red Dwarf far too esoteric for trans atlantic tastes. Heck, I didn't like it.

I presume then you cwatched The Hitchhikers Guide? Couldn't stand that either.

Instead, I veer towards the less budget conscious and far sleeker American version of Sci Fi; Stargate, Star Trek, Battlestar, etc. Proper aliens Alfred, proper aliens.

I do like Dr Who though and tolerate Torchwood.

Perhaps you need to come and live here and I should emigrate westwards.

Alfred Lehmberg said...

Absolutely _loved_ RD but HGTTG (the series) left me cold... don't tell Errol.

Can't get into Dr.Who... and Torchwood doesn't light a fire for me, either.

Proper Aliens? Babylon 5... now _there's_ a portrait of proper alienage for you. Whoa and hoist the nads clear of the quaking deck plates, eh?

alienview@roadrunner.com
> www.AlienView.net
>> AVG Blog -- http://alienviewgroup.blogspot.com/
>>> U F O M a g a z i n e -- www.ufomag.com

RDB said...

For a different side of yours truly, see my other blogs:

http://simplyxmas.wordpress.com (seasonal)

http://unclestinky.wordpress.com

http://quotagraphic.wordpress.com

http://wanderingbard.wordpress.com

RDB

Stuart said...

Is this the best you can do Rod?

I call you arrogant and you direct me to your stinkiness.

Is this what UFOlogy has come to?

Liked the Google job too but the Christmas thing made me reach for the bucket. Get a grip.

I'm wearing new fluffy slippers that I bought today. Soft and springy slip-ons.